Today in class we were learning about
motivation. The last two topics we’ve
learned about (memory and motivation) I secretly wish we had done earlier in
the semester, for my own selfish reasons of course! Learning about the SQ4R and levels of motivation
make sense! I am glad to have these new
tools for learning I believe they will help me in my education and career.
I was looking at Maslow’s levels of
motivation and thinking about me and the students is in the kindergarten class
that I work in. Sometimes it is hard to
make a proper motivator for the children that have parents that love them so
much that sometimes they don’t realize that they are doing everything for their
children creating learned helplessness. Where is the motivation in doing things
for yourself when you don’t have to?
Then I think about the children on the other end of the spectrum. These are the ones that are coming in with
hungry tummies or wearing clothes that aren’t proper for the weather. How can I expect them to focus on letter
formation when they are cold or hungry?
I am bothered a bit when thinking
about trying to be aware of the many needs of the students I will have. What if I make the mistake of thinking that a
student isn’t performing at their best level and it is because they aren’t having
the basic level of deficiency needs being met?
I would absolutely hate to be so absorbed in meeting curriculum that I
couldn’t see that a student needs something different from me. What about the student’s that hide this
because of pride or embarrassment? I
hope by educating myself from this class I will have the insight to help the
students in my career. I will do the
best with what I have at that time and in the moment….
Now looking at the classic image of the person chasing the dangling carrot I wonder which level of Maslow's needs are they trying to meet? Do they need the basic needs of food, shelter and safety to be met or are they chasing the dangling carrot of success and fulfillment? (I guess this gives me something to chew on....yes that's a bad joke!)
No comments:
Post a Comment