After thinking about the Heinz dilemma
and what we discussed in class. One line
that really stood out to me was, “Whose rights carry the day?”
Then I got thinking about Carol Gilligan
and the Care Perspective.
An ideal world of justice and care
for each other, I picture this like a ripple effect starting with individual then
onto spouse, children, family, neighbours and continuing on outward until everyone
in the whole world was included. A giant
world of compassion, that sounds wonderful! Actually it kind of reminds me of a
classroom that is operating in full inclusion and differentiated learning, where
no one is left out or behind.
Now let’s try this in a real life
situation. Right now at work I am struggling
with a parent that is always late and insists on dropping her children off at
the wrong door to come in. This doesn’t bother
me though. She has four children and is
a single mother. If this makes her life
easier I say go for it. I’ll help her
out. Recently we have had a change in
the schools morning routine. The whole
school gathers at the front foyer in the morning and we sing a worship song and
say the Lord’s Prayer all together for some fellowship each day. The mother has reacted to this because now no
one is standing at the door and she would have to come to the front door where
everyone is standing and they will see that she is late. She was embarrassed about this and reacted
with a couple of outbursts in the hall and verbally attacking myself and other
staff members saying we weren’t full filling our jobs and we are neglecting the
students. She was also asking if there was any evidence that we were treating
her children poorly because they were late.
I had told her before that I would wait at the door until she got to the
school and then I would take the children in and get them settled for the
day. I waited for two weeks at the door
and she purposely didn’t come until after we were well into the first period of
the day. Then she would come in and
disrupt the class. This story goes even
deeper, but my question is…
What does a person do when you are
trying to help out another person but they are in trauma? They can’t see beyond their pain. Sometimes like in the case of the mother with
the four children she had thought that we weren’t being compassionate or acting
justly. How can we as a community support
someone who doesn’t see that we are there for them because they can’t see
through the difficulties they are going through? I think that we have to have patience and
wait it out until they come around. That
is sometimes easier said than done.
I know by looking at body language,
tone, and by how put together this mom is that something else is going on. When people are in panic mode or think that
others can see that they are hiding something they tend to lash out. Now I am not her, and I can never understand
what it is like to be her. (Same planet, different worlds) As humans sometimes we get worn down when
someone else is taking their hurt out on us for an extended period of
time. Then we end up making rash
decisions because we end up being hurt as well, instead of being calm and carrying
on. Oh how I wish we lived on the same Carol
Gilligan planet and world!
![]() |
| Image from www.bucketfillers101.com |
Well let’s take a step in the right
direction. Let’s start filling each
other’s bucket. What does this
mean? I’ll share with you how I found
out about this! The other day the school Counsellor,
who also happens to be my friend, came around to each classroom and
taught the students about what it means to fill someone’s bucket. Here's the link to the site that she got the information from. http://www.bucketfillers101.com/index.php We talked about happiness, being kind to one
another, and what some nice words were that we could say to each other and our
families. She also talked about how we
all have invisible buckets that need to be filled and how we need to make a conscious
effort to not just receive but to also fill.
It was a nice way to let the students know that everyone has this need.
I liked this because it was a lesson in what the students can do instead of
preaching to them about how to not treat people.

No comments:
Post a Comment